Shell Rotella SAE 40 Straight Grade Motor Oil 5 Gallon Pail
Motor oil is made from crude oil and is used to lubricate, clean, and cool engines. Types of motor oil include conventional, synthetic, diesel, bio-based, hybrid (blends of conventional and synthetic), and recycled oils. Motor oil varies in weight and viscosity, as well as additives that some manufacturers add to the oil during the refining process. A numerical code system created by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) grades motor oils according to viscosity--the higher the number between 0 and 60, the more viscous (thicker) the oil is. Most consumer motor oils are graded by two numbers, with the first number indicating cold weather (Winter or "W") performance.
This oil has a weight of SAE 40, meaning it has a single SAE viscosity rating of 40 at normal operating temperature. Always check your vehicle's owner's manual to verify that this is the correct weight of motor oil for your vehicle.
Conventional Motor Oil
This oil is a conventional motor oil, meaning it is refined from crude oil or petroleum products. Conventional motor oils may or may not have additives included after refining. Conventional motor oils are more versatile than synthetic or hybrid motor oils, because they are suitable for use with nearly all types of modern vehicle engines, from cars and trucks to motorcycles, ATVs, farm equipment, and more.
- For best performance, follow the manufacturer's recommendations in your vehicle owner’s manual.
- Conventional monograde motor oil for specialty vehicles such as tractors and buses
- Low ash content, minimizing formation of deposits and helping to keep intake ports clean
- Outstanding oxidation resistance to help maximize service life
- Excellent rust and corrosion protection for critical engine parts
- Optimized dispersant content to help prevent engine sludge and varnish deposits
- Rotella Heavy Duty, engine oil features multi-functional, low ash additive technology in a synthetic base oil designed to provide highly responsive protection that continuously adapts to your driving conditions.